Friday, April 17, 2009

Is Dodgeball Sexist?

I love dodgeball with all of my heart but it seems to me that the NCDA is geared for the guys because most of the decision making is done by guys. Even the throws are geared toward a male grip. I wonder whether dodgeball could be a more diverse sport with a healthy mixture of males and females. Maybe it isn't. The few girls in the NCDA may have to become guys to even be competitive. Also the fact that girls are vastly underestimated as players is bothersome mainly because I have been conditioned to pick out the girls as easy outs because thats what the rest of my team does. I have seen girls that have canons (due to softball I'm guessing). I've seen girls with great hands. I've seen girls that are great blockers (usually their main function). So why are we not seen as a player to look out for? We play just as hard as the guys and we deserve to be recognized for our efforts. Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe this sport is truly for the guys but I hope that in the future we can appreciate everyone no matter what kind of reproductive organs they have.  

1 comment:

  1. OK! For one...every time I play dodgeball...(i have been playing for 4 years now) i NEVER ever underestimate that the position of the girls that play. When i do i get screwed. i agree to the fact that there are many facets of dodgeball playing that guys have that girls dont. But girls have that element of surprise and shock of playing ability. The one thing that has ALWAYS killed me when i play dodgeball is when i throw it at girl and she catches it. Girls facets are catching, countering, as well as throwing ability. i have been constantly referred to as a "Blackheart" because i have NO mercy against the female fatals. If i let up even a bit i leave room for them to get the upper hand. I do now believe you are looked down upon as an inferior player you just have different play sets that do not influence the majority of the game. The game is more fast paced and focused because the majority of the court is controlled by the guys. Coed matches have 4 guys and 2 girls. I have been trying to get girls to play dodgeball even since i have begun playing this sport. At this point in time there is just not enough women playing the games. There is a womens league here in az even though it is small at this point, there is interest and its gaining favor. I ref for that league and i have to admit they are slow paced only because the playing style is so different. It is an evolution, like dodgeball as a sport in general that needs to be continuously worked on.

    ReplyDelete